Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Four Mini-Posts in One

Nathan and I had a fun and free weekend in St. Louis- it doesn't get any better than that!  He coaches a couple of club soccer teams, and the high school girls had a two-day tournament in St. Louis.  I went to a couple of games, and during the others, spent some time exploring the great shopping.  The weather was gorgeous, and between the games, we had a great time hanging out together.  On the way home, we stopped at Greenville College, where Nathan went to college and played soccer his freshman and sophomore years.  We walked around the campus and it was fun to see the place he lived for two years.  Of course, I forgot our camera, so no pictures to share!

------------------------

I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday getting a birthday present, and came out with this handy note pad.  It's about the size of an index card.  The pen holds the metal case closed, and when you open it, there's a pad of paper inside.
I've been seeing these "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters around for about a year.  It would be a good mantra for me to start reciting (i.e.- I am not very calm!).  Originally, the poster was designed by the British government during the beginning of World War II when the citizens were worried about England being invaded.  It was rediscovered in 2000 and it's now what I see every time I look at my to-do list.


This is a great thing for me because I have an hour commute each way for work.  When I'm in the car, I think of all these things I need to do, but by the time I get home, I've forgotten all of them, and have no idea where to start.  I filled up the first page during my drive home yesterday, so I have a feeling this is going to work.  You're probably wondering, like Nathan, why I don't make a list like this on my phone or iTouch.  Well, it takes so long for me to open the application for notes and type the words out (I have clumsy fingers and have to use the backspace key a lot!).  And when I'm driving, it seems really distracting.  When I am writing by hand, I don't have to take my eyes off the road to jot something down, and this is compact enough that I can do it with one hand.

-----------------------------------


 I've been looking for salt and pepper shakers for a long time now, but I have expensive taste, and every time I found some I liked, I would turn them over and get sticker shock.  So, when I found these cute shakers at a local festival, I didn't have my heart set on taking them home because of my experience.  But when I found out that the whole set was $7, I rushed to the register.  :-)

I got this runner and centerpiece last fall, thinking that it would be my fall decoration, but it matches so well with the paint in our kitchen and the cushions on the chairs, that I've kept it up year-round.  It "helps" a laminate-top table that isn't really my style, but it was free AND sturdy, so I'm not complaining.

----------------------------


Did you really want to see my feet?  Probably not.  Just concentrate on the painted flowers and it won't be so bad.

No comments: